Requesting a Completed Requirements (CR) grade

In response to the difficulties many students are facing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the university is giving students the option, for any course completed in the Winter 2020 term, to either accept their final grade or opt for a Completed Requirements (CR) grade.

  • Undergraduate students can request CR grades for courses in which they received a D or higher.
  • Graduate students can request CR grades for courses in which they received a B- or higher.
  • If a student did not achieve the grade required to request a CR, they do not need to request an unweighted F. Any F grade received in the Winter 2020 term will be automatically unweighted and will not affect a student's GPA. 

Students can chose to request a CR grade after they complete their winter 2020 courses and receive their final grades. They will have until May 22 to request at CR grade.

The CR request form is available in the Student Centre ( It can be accessed by selecting "Request a CR grade," which is located in the Student Centre footer. 

Request CR link


The choice to accept your final grades or opt for a CR grade is made after you complete your courses and receive your final grades. We encourage you to continue to work hard to get the most out of your courses.

You can request a CR grade if you meet one of the following requirements for a Winter 2020 term course (including block week):

Undergraduate students: Received a grade of “D” or above

Graduate students: Received a grade of “B-“ or above

You can choose course by course. You can choose to accept your final grades for some courses and Completed Requirements (CR) for others.

If you take a CR, no grade point value will be associated with that course – so it will not be included in your GPA calculation.

All “F” grades for the Winter 2020 term will automatically be on the CR/F system. Thus, no grade point value will be associated with the course and it will not be included in your GPA calculation.

If you choose to keep your assessed grade, the grade will be included in your GPA calculation.

Yes. If you receive a CR in the course, it will be used as a prerequisite regardless of your original grade.

If you take a CR on a course you need to graduate, that course will still count toward your graduation requirements. If you receive an F, the course will not count toward your graduation requirements.

If you are receiving or applying for a University of Calgary award, a Government of Alberta award or a University of Calgary nominated award, you will still be eligible for scholarship consideration, provided you successfully complete the minimum number of units required for the award/scholarship.

If you are at another post-secondary institution and your courses are designated as University of Calgary courses, then this applies to you. Students at Red Deer College, Medicine Hat College and other collaborative sites taking UCalgary courses at these locations can request the CR/F option. 

No. You cannot opt for a CR grade if you are attending another university on a letter of permission. This option only applies to University of Calgary courses. We recommend you speak with the school you are attending to see what options they are making available for their courses.

No. Continuing Education students should discuss assignment requirements directly with their instructor. For all currently running courses, instructors will be providing students with flexible options for completing their assignments and course requirements.

Students are facing a variety of difficulties – due to the stress related to what the world is going through, their own health or the health of family and friends, the need to look after family members, or a variety of other factors. Your mental health, well-being and success are of the highest priority to us, which is why we have given you this option regarding your final grades. 

Providing this choice allows those who need grades for advanced placements or applications for further studies to still receive a final grade, while not penalizing those whose performance is affected by difficult circumstances.

Eligible CR grades are posted within five business days of the submission date.

Note that grades in D2L are not official.

Please refer to grades posted on your Student Centre.

If a grade was not present in your Student Centre at the time of your request, the CR may not be posted. First review your grades in the Student Centre; if it has not changed, please submit a new request if the CR is not posted after five business days of your request.

Please email by Friday, May 22. Be sure to include your UCID and the course details related to the request you would like to cancel. If a CR is posted at the time of your cancellation request, it will be updated within five business days.

Grades in D2L reflect your course progress and results, but they are not considered official. Please refer to your Student Centre to verify your official grade.

Yes. If you have an approved deferral for a course, you can request a CR grade. The deadline to request a CR grade for courses with a deferral is extended to June 12.

Students can decide to either accept the grade as assessed, and then request the re-appraisal of final grade, or request the CR grade by May 22. After May 22, the CR option will no longer be available. The exception is the re-appraisal of a final “F” grade. If the re-appraised grade is a D or higher for undergraduates, or B- or higher for graduates, a student may request a CR grade.

If your final grade is not posted by May 22, please contact your faculty or instructor. The university will grant extensions for requesting a CR grade for students who do not receive their grades on time.

Other FAQ regarding grades

Fall semester grades will be available by mid-January and winter semester grades will be available in May (typically 15 days after the term end date). For detailed instructions, click here.

The university uses a 4.0 grading scale. Details of the grading system can be viewed in the University Calendar.

Your statement of grades (courses and credits) is available in your Student Centre.

If you've concerns about how you were graded on any course work you're encouraged to discuss this with your instructor as soon as possible and before initiating a formal reappraisal procedure. If you'd like to initiate a formal reappraisal please fill out the Reappraisal of Final Grade Form.

Requests must be received by these dates: 
Fall Session – March 1
Winter Session – June 30
Spring Session – August 15
Summer Session – October 15

Related Links

Students can view their official grades in their Student Centre