Visiting and exchange students

How to apply

Visiting students apply through Open Studies as follows

Create an eID

To apply for Open Studies you must create an eID.

Create an eID


Complete the Open Studies application.


Submit all transcripts, including proof of English Language Proficiency

Application fee

Pay a $125 (Domestic) or $145 (International) non-refundable application fee

Registration essentials

Learn more about registering for courses

Many undergraduate courses have pre-requisites that must be met before you can register for the course. As a visiting student, you’ll often need to receive permission to register for classes that have pre-requisites. If you want to register in a course with pre-requisites, here’s who you’ll need to contact:

High school level pre-requisite

For a course with only high school level pre-requisites, contact Enrolment Services. They’ll post your credits to your student account, and then you can proceed with registration.

Note: This type of permission must be requested every time you want to register for a course with this type of pre-requisite requirement.

Post-secondary level pre-requisites

For a course with post-secondary level pre-requisites, contact the academic department that offers the course to request permission to enroll in the course.

Once you have permission to register in a course with pre-requisites, you’ll be able to register through My UCalgary (

Exchange students

Contact the exchange office at your home university to find out if your institution has a formal exchange partnership with UCalgary.

Before you can apply to UCalgary, you must first follow your home university's application deadlines and procedures in order to be nominated by an exchange coordinator at your home university. After you’ve been nominated, you’ll receive a personalized online link to the incoming exchange student application.

For more information on applying as an exchange student, visit our incoming exchange student website.

How to register in a graduate course

If you want to register into a graduate-level course, here are the steps you’ll need to take:

Academic department

Contact the academic department offering your desired course so you can request permission to register

Electronic allow action

once you’ve received permission, the department must post an electronic allow action on your student file

Manual registration

When the electronic allow action is posted, you must contact Enrolment Services to request that a manual registration is processed on your behalf