Preparing for your final exams
Here is some helpful information to help you prepare for your final exams
When to arrive…
Arrive 15 minutes before your exam is scheduled to begin. If you arrive 30 minutes or more after the start of the exam, you will not be admitted to the exam room.
You're required to remain in the exam room for the first 30 minutes of the examination. All candidates remaining during the last 15 minutes of the examination period must remain at their desk until their exam has been collected by an invigilator.
What can I bring?
Only bring what you need to your exam and leave all valuables at home or in a secure location away from the exam room.
Here is what you can bring into the exam room:
- Photo ID is mandatory - University of Calgary Campus Card (UNICARD) or any government issued photo identification. You will not be allowed to sit for your exam without photo ID
- Any instructor approved aid(s), such as a calculator or approved textbooks — your instructor will tell you if other items are allowed
- Pens, pencils, erasers and pencil sharpeners
- Academic Integrity Bags are provided to hold your personal belongings during your exam — only items that fit in the bag are permitted in the exam room
What shouldn't I bring?
Bags, backpacks, or other large items are not permitted into the exam room. Backpacks and book bags cannot be left in hallways outside the exam room or at the back of classrooms for safety reasons, please store in a secure location away from the exam room.
It also recommended that you leave cell phones, wireless access devices, headsets and any other items the instructor has indicated is not permitted in a secure location away from the exam room.
The university is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
Where do I sit?
- Seating in the Red (KNA 110), Gold (KNA 109), Dance Studio (KNA 163) and Auxiliary Gyms (KNA 117) in the Kinesiology building is assigned
- Seats are assigned based on your course and lecture number
- Seat lists are posted in the Kinesiology building main entrance and in the entrance to the Kinesiology Block before each exam
Academic Integrity Bags
Academic Integrity Bags will be used for all final exams held in the Red, Gold or Auxiliary Gyms and classroom.
The plastic bag is for your valuables such as your wallet, electronics and textbooks. All electronics are required to be turned off and shut down completely and placed in the bags. The bag is to be kept under your chair during the final exam.
Don't bring other bags
Please leave larger bags and backpacks at home, in a locker or at an alternate safe location as they are not permitted in the exam room or in the hallways outside of the exam. If left in hallways they will be removed for safety reasons.
Coats may be placed on the back of chairs, but pockets need to be emptied.
During the exam…
- Follow the instructions of the invigilator (exam supervisor) — this includes permission to start the exam and when to stop writing the exam
- Write your name on each answer book and number each book as instructed
- Write on both sides of the page unless otherwise instructed
- Strike out discarded material — do not cut, tear or remove pages from the answer book
- Direct all inquiries and requests to the exam proctors, this includes requests to leave the exam room or if you fall ill during the exam
- Do not do any of the following (it could result in academic misconduct):
- Speak or communicate with other students
- Leave answer papers exposed for other students to view
- Attempt to read other student examination papers
- Bring unauthorized materials (books, electronic devices, etc.) into the exam room