World's Challenge Challenge
Creative solutions to global issues
What is the World's Challenge Challenge?
This innovative competition is an exciting way for UCalgary students to engage with other students from around the world to address global challenges from a wide variety of disciplines for a chance to win a top prize of $30,000. By participating, students will develop their critical thinking skills, global mindset, leadership, research, and presentation skills.
In teams of two to four members from the University of Calgary, you will develop and pitch a solution with a global impact that addresses one or more of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The 1st-place winner from UCalgary’s Finals are invited to a virtual conference and Global Final competition hosted annually by Western University and a chance to compete for a top prize of $30,000. Finalists have an opportunity to participate in virtual academic events, generate further discussion around global issues, and network with some of the best and brightest students from around the world!
For more information on the competition, rules, partners, and the final competition, please visit the World's Challenge Challenge page at Western University
1. Choose your team: Teams of two to four UCalgary students will work together to identify a global problem and pitch a solution. We encourage you to work in groups made up of students with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds so that your pitch is well-rounded.
2. Choose a global challenge: UCalgary student teams will identify a global problem the world is currently facing. Participants are encouraged to explore issues that affect their own lives or challenges that they feel passionate about.
3. Apply: Teams will complete an application including basic information about the challenge and their proposed solution.
4. Workshops: One member of your team is required to attend Intro to Sustainable Development hosted by the Alberta Council for Global Cooperation.
5. Semi-finals: A maximum of 30 teams will be selected to share their solutions in 3 minutes in front of a panel of judges at the WCC UCalgary Semi-Finals competition at a time assigned to your team. From there, a select number of teams will be chosen to present at the WCC UCalgary Finals competition.
6. UCalgary Finals: The shortlisted teams will share a 5-7 minute presentations to a panel of judges. Prizes will be awarded to the top three teems: 1st-place will receive a $4,000 award, 2nd-place a $2,500 award, and 3rd place a $1,000 award.
7. Global Finals: The 1st-place team from the UCalgary Finals will then have the opportunity to compete with other teams from around the world and a chance to win $30,000.
The WCC is open to teams of two to four members, ideally from different disciplines or faculties. You must be a current University of Calgary undergraduate or graduate student, full or part-time. In order to be eligible to participate at the Global Finals, teams must have a minimum of two members present at the online competition and all team members who are virtually present for the Global Final must participate in the competition.
We have every confidence in our students to put together amazing pitches! However, if you are in need of some guidance, your team will be paired with a mentor prior to the UCalgary finals. Your mentor will help you to prepare, refine, and improve your presentation in order to ensure that your pitch is polished and professional.
Additionally, we have a list of resources below that we encourage you to access as you prepare your presentations.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Information Session - January 13, 2022
Application Deadline - January 21, 2022
Development 101 workshop - January 27, 12:00 PM
Delivering a Pitch workshop - January 31, 11:30 AM
Semi finals - February 8, 2022, 1:00 PM MST
Finals - March 8, 2022, 1:00 PM MST
Global final - TBA