UCalgary Funding Opportunities:
These awards are offered by organizations and departments associated with the University of Calgary. The University helps to administer the awards, and can also offer support when you submit your application.
Funding First! The Global Access Fund is unique in that students apply for this funding prior to submitting their global learning program application. Results will be announced in advance of global learning program application deadlines so that the funding can be applied toward any up-front costs.
University of Calgary International aims to make global learning experiences accessible to every undergraduate student. The Global Access Fund has been established to help address barriers experienced by groups underrepresented in global learning experiences. With a wide range of programs offered, including programs from 10 days to 1 year in length, our goal is to help you find a program that not only aligns with your personal & academic goals but with your financial and accessibility needs as well. Economically disadvantaged students, students who are first-in-family to attend university, Indigenous students, 2SLGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and visible/racialized minority students are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Global Learning Award (formerly known as the International Study Travel Grant) supports University of Calgary students participating in an official UCalgary Global Learning program such as a student exchange, group study program, field school, co-op, practicum, internship, or international courses timetabled at the University of Calgary and supervised by a UCalgary professor.
Note that only travel-based programs qualify for this award.
The Global Indigenous Skills program (GIS) is funded by Global Skills Opportunity - the Government of Canada’s Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Program. Its aim is to invest in global skills for both Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, cultivating leadership, identity awareness, and global networks related to Indigenous ways of knowing, doing, connecting, and being.
Please visit the Global Indigenous Skills page, linked below, for more details about this scholarship and qualifying programs.
The University of Calgary has partnered with Mitacs to provide funding through the Globalink program for senior undergraduate, graduate (Masters or PhD) and postdoctoral fellows to take part in international research opportunities. These are collaborative experiences between the University of Calgary and universities located in Mitacs partner and eligible countries. The award is worth $6,000 CAD per student. Placements must be between 12-24 weeks.
For more information, please refer to:
- Mainland China: The Canada Learning Initiative in China has connected select Canadian universities with the Chinese Ministry of Education to cover many of the costs of studying in mainland China on a number of different approved programs. You must be a full time student at the University of Calgary and must be accepted into one of the approved study abroad programs
- Mainland China: The CNOOC International Canadian Global Leaders in China Award of $2000 per student is offered to up to 20 students participating in an approved UCalgary study abroad program in mainland China (exclusive of Hong Kong). This includes credit programs such as student exchange programs with partner universities; group study programs led by University of Calgary professors; term abroad programs; research projects; practica, internships and co-operative education abroad. No application necessary - students will be internally nominated by their program/exchange advisor, via the Global Learning Office. Please indicate to your advisor if you are interested in being nominated for this award. Preference will be given to students based on academic merit.
- China, Hong Kong, and Macau: The China International Study Travel Award - generally distributed as 4 awards of $5000, and generously sponsored by Joe & Cindy Leung, these awards are offered annually to continuing undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Calgary who have been selected to participate in an approved study abroad program in China (inclusive of Hong Kong and Macau) during the upcoming academic year. This includes credit programs such as student exchange programs with partner universities; group study programs led by University of Calgary professors; term abroad programs; research projects; practica, internships and co-operative education abroad. No application necessary - students will be internally nominated by their program/exchange advisor, via the Study Abroad Office. Preference may be given to students based on academic merit (3.0 GPA over previous 24 units), demonstration of financial need, and/or students enrolled in Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Science, or Bachelor of Arts - Urban Studies program. Please indicate to your advisor if you are interested in being nominated for this award.
- China and Hong Kong: The Hong Kong-Canada Business Association generously awards 3 annual scholarships (1st place: $3000, 2nd place: $2000, 3rd place: $1000 and a 1 year free HKCBA student membership to all winners) to UCalgary students passionate about pursuing topics of "business, entrepreneurship, technology, development, sustainability, language/culture, or education" between Canada and Hong Kong, China and/or other countries in Asia. Other eligibility criteria include being enrolled in a part or full-time undergraduate or graduate UCalgary degree program and having minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA. Students must submit an application package including a written letter of intent, transcript, resume, and two reference letters; the call for applications normally goes out in late Fall semester. DUE: October 31, 2022
- Mainland China and Japan: Dr. Benjamin Chee-man Wong has generously awarded 1 annual scholarship worth $5000 to a continuing undergraduate student in an approved study abroad to China or Japan during the upcoming academic year. Other eligibility criteria include a 3.0 GPA in the previous Fall and Winter semesters, with at least 24 units in those semesters. Students must be full time in the upcoming fall term.
See additional funding opportunities in the External Funding Opportunities section at the bottom of this web page!
The awards below are ones which UCalgary International has been specifically made aware of. We recommend also checking with your faculty or department in case of any other awards offered that are not listed here!
Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Arts Student Study Abroad Grants - These grants increase student access to global experiences. It is for undergraduate Arts students to support their participation in international activities abroad as part of their academic program. Priority will be given to students who demonstrate financial need or other unique circumstances or factors. Applications open annually in the winter semester and are submitted online in RAISA.
- Edna F. Einsiedel Study Abroad Award - variable number of awards up to $2500 available to continuing undergraduate students (second-year standing and above) in the Faculty of Arts, majoring in Communication and Media Studies or Film Studies. Students must be accepted for a group study program or a semester abroad program (exchange or independently arranged). Academic merit is also taken into consideration. Award recipients are nominated directly by the department, so no application is required.
- Dr. Rowland Smith Memorial Award - 1 award of up to $2000 available to continuing undergraduate students (second-year standing and above) in the Faculty of Arts. Preference is given to ASHA students doing a Study Abroad program in the upcoming year. Academic merit is also taken into consideration. Award recipients are nominated directly by the faculty, so no application is required.
Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Science IDEAS Fund - available to students in the Faculty of Science, the fund is designed to support students to engage in innovation, leadership, educational and professional development activities, which includes overseas travel for educational opportunities. The maximum amount of funding over a degree is $2500. Deadline for Spring/Summer, Feb 15; deadline for Fall, July 15; deadline for Winter, November 15.
Faculty of Kinesiology
- Kinesiology Student Abroad Award - 5 awards of $1000 available to continuing undergraduate students in the Faculty of Kinesiology. Students must be accepted to an exchange semester/year at the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences. Award recipients are nominated directly by the faculty, so no application is required.
Schulich School of Engineering
- Schulich Student Activities Fund - available to students in the Schulich School of Engineering to support a variety of activities.
Haskayne School of Business
- Students attending a semester or year exchange program through UCalgary International or the Haskayne School of Business may be eligible for various awards. Click here for more information.
- University of Calgary Graduate Studies Awards - inquire here about NSERC, SSHERC, Vanier, Open Doctoral Competition, and other current award competitions.
- E. Catherine Barclay Award - an award of $7,500 granted to an outstanding full-time student registered in any faculty at the University of Calgary wishing to pursue studies in France through an official exchange program, for two semesters. Award holders must select courses in which the language of instruction is French. The selection criteria are: academic merit, solid command of oral and written French, and extra-curricular activities exhibiting concern for others. The application for the 2021/22 award is available here. The deadline for applications is March 1.
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below! Additional University-specific awards can be found on our individual program pages for our university partners in France, such as the University of Tours, Université Claude Bernard, etc.
- Antje Graupe Pryor Award - available to undergraduate University of Calgary engineering students wishing to study at the Technische Universität Berlin for semester and year-long exchanges or summer research. The award is $7,500 per semester (maximum of two semesters) or $7,500 for a summer research term. Awards are open to all engineering majors. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Association for German Education in Calgary (AGEC) Study Abroad Scholarship - two awards of $1000 available to students participating in an approved University of Calgary Study Abroad Program of at least six weeks in duration. See GPA and Major/Minor requirements in the link above. Deadline April 1, 2021
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below! Additional University-specific awards can be found on our individual program pages for our university partners in Germany, such as the University of Oldenburg.
- Calgary Italian Sportswomen’s Dinner Association Award for Study in Bologna - one annual award of $500 offered to a student in any faculty selected to participate in the UCalgary exchange program at the University of Bologna in Italy for at least one term. Selection is based on academic merit, and applicants must have completed at least 24 units (8 half-courses) in the previous Fall/Winter terms before award application. Those selected for Bologna that meet this criteria will be sent details on the award application due August 15th each year. An additional letter of recommendation may be required.
- Italian Study Abroad Award - one annual award of up to $1600 offered to a continuing undergrad student in the Faculty of Arts pursuing a major/minor in Italian, or to a student in any faculty who is completing or has completed at least two HCE (6 units) in Italian. Students must be accepted to a study abroad program in Italy (and continuing their studies full time into the following fall semester). A minimum GPA of 2.6 over the academic year of application (F & W), with at least 24 units (8 half-courses) taken, is required. For more details, see award application information here. Deadline May 1st!
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below!
- Julio Peris Scholarship - two annual awards for undergraduate students, enrolled in a UCI exchange or group study program in Spain (valued up to $1350 each!). The awards are open to undergrads in any program who have an academic interest in Spain. The award is based on academic merit (minimum 2.6 GPA or higher in the past academic year), with enrollment in at least 8 HCE or 24 units over Fall/Winter. For more details, click here and scroll down to Spanish - Julio Peris Award
See additional funding opportunities in the "Europe" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below!
- Killam Fellowships - enables exceptional undergraduate students from universities in Canada to spend a semester or an academic year as an exchange student in the United States
See additional funding opportunities in the "Canada & United States" tab of the External Funding Opportunities section below!
The Student Activities Fund is an award for non-credit, non-academic, unpaid international experiences only. Selection decisions are competitive and need-based, so please review the eligibility section thoroughly before applying, and ensure you complete the application in its entirety.
Eligible programs include co-curricular experiences like UCalgaryCares service-learning trips, or unpaid, non-credit bearing experiential research/internships, amongst others.
External Funding Opportunities:
These are awards offered by groups external to the University of Calgary. As the university does not administer these awards, it is best to contact the organizations directly with any questions regarding eligibility and application requirements. Please note, this is only a short list of opportunities and resources known to our office. Students are highly encouraged to do their own further research for more funding options!
- Austria - the Austrian Exchange Service
- Germany - German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Awards - offers funding for programs in Germany including exchanges, internships, research, and language courses. Also check the 2021-22 DAAD Grants Brochure and the 2021-22 DAAD Funding for Study, Research and Internship in Germany Presentation
- Germany - "Come to Oldenburg" Grant
- Hungary - The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship Program - a full tuition scholarship (available for students with Hungarian identity, roots, or connection to a Hungarian diaspora) to study for 1 semester or 1 year at the University of Pécs. As Pécs is not a current exchange partner, applications are made directly through their website, however students who plan to apply should also contact the UCalgary Study Abroad Office for additional support.
- Netherlands - Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education (NUFFIC)
- Netherlands (Erasmus University Rotterdam Faculty of History, Communication & Culture only) www.atpfonds.nl/criteria.html
- Norway - Study In Norway scholarships
- Sweden - The Swedish Institute
- UK - The British Council
- Australia - Study Mobility Scholarships through IDP
- Australia - scholarshipdb.net (scholarship noticeboard/search)
- Australia - Australia Awards from the Australian Government
- China - Chinese Government Scholarships
- Japan - Study in Japan Japanese Government (Monbukagukusho) Scholarship (two scholarships, Research and Undergraduate)
- Latin America – LIV Fund
In light of COVID-19 and the financial difficulties many are facing, please also note the Canadian Government's assistance programs, "Canada Emergency Response Benefit" and "Canada Emergency Student Benefit". While these are not intended for Study Abroad, they may be useful to draw upon in these times and support your financial situation while planning for future studies. More information available here.