UCalgary campus

Withdrawal from a Course(s)

The number of units/courses you take determines your enrollment status as a full-time or part-time student. Withdrawing from a course(s) may impact your enrollment status.

It is important that you understand the impacts to your enrollment status BEFORE you withdraw from a course(s). You are encouraged to speak with your academic advisor and immigration advisor prior to withdrawing from a course(s).

Financial And Administrative Holds

If you have a financial or administrative hold that prevents you from enrolling in courses and you are required to withdraw or drop your courses resulting in “no units” or part-time enrollment, please connect with an immigration advisor with International Student Services to discuss your circumstances.

UCalgary campus

Studying in Canada as a Part-Time Student

You can study as a part-time student.

However, as a part-time student, you should demonstrate that you are making reasonable progress towards the completion of your program within the allotted program time.

There are also implications to your work and post-graduation open work permit (PGWP)' eligibility as a part-time student.

  • Part-time students are not eligible to work in Canada (both on and off campus) (exception: unless you are in your final term and were a full-time student for the duration of your program in Canada)
  • If withdrawing from a course(s) results in part-time enrollment status, you MUST stopping working in Canada immediately.
  • If you are a part-time student in your regular academic term, then you may be unable to work during your scheduled breaks unless enrolled as a full-time student during the spring and summer terms.
  • To be eligible to work during a scheduled break, you must be a full-time student in the entire regular academic term prior-to and after the scheduled break. 

Example: If withdrawing from a course results in part-time student status in the Winter term, should the Spring and Summer terms be scheduled breaks in your academic calendar, you will not be eligible to work in the Spring and Summer terms unless enrolled as a full-time student in each of these terms.

Part-time enrollment status in any term other than your final term, may result in an ineligibility for a post-graduation open work permit (PGWP), even if you were:

  1. enrolled as a full-time student for most of the regular academic term; and
  2. you withdraw by the last day to withdraw from a course in the term
  • If you withdraw from a course(s) prior to the drop deadline in a particular term, it may result in course(s) being removed from your transcript.
  • If you drop after the deadline, you will have the withdrawal recorded on your transcript. This will appear as a “W” on your transcript.
  • Post-graduation open work permit (PGWP) eligibility can be impacted by course withdrawal. 
    • Should dropping down to part-time status may affect your eligibility for a PGWP.
    • Students are encouraged to connect with their program advisor to discuss their GPA and program progression.
  • Your transcript will reflect your enrollment status in each term of study.