N. Sultana, S. Pawar and U. Sundararaj, "Effect of Processing Techniques on EMI SE of Immiscible PS/PMMA Blends Containing MWCNT: Enhanced Intertube and Interphase Scattering", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.8b05957 (2019).
The effect of processing techniques on electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness (EMI SE) of immiscible Polystyrene (PS)/poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA)/multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) polymer blend nanocomposites . Different processing strategies (e.g., sequence of addition of components) and blend compositions influence final morphology, selective localization, and dispersion of MWCNT. We achieved increased EMI SE in polymer blend nanocomposites through multiple scattering (selective localization-assisted interphase and better dispersion-aided intertube scattering), unlike traditional metal shields, which mostly depend on reflection. The PS/PMMA(80:20) blend nanocomposite with 2.7 vol % MWCNT shows 30 dB EMI SE at 2 mm thickness.
1. S Sadeghi, M Arjmand, I Otero Navas, A Zehtab Yazdi, U Sundararaj,
Effect of nanofiller geometry on network formation in polymeric nanocomposites: comparison of rheological and electrical properties of multiwalled carbon nanotube and graphene …, 2017, Macromolecules 50 (10), 3954-3967.
2. M Arjmand, M Mahmoodi, S Park, U Sundararaj, Impact of foaming on the broadband dielectric properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube/polystyrene composites, Journal of Cellular Plastics, 2014, 50 (6), 551-562.
3. M Mahmoodi, M Arjmand, U Sundararaj, S Park, The electrical conductivity and electromagnetic interference shielding of injection molded multi-walled carbon nanotube/polystyrene composites, 2012, Carbon, 50, (4), 1455-1464.
4. GA Gelves, MH Al-Saleh, U Sundararaj, Highly electrically conductive and high performance EMI shielding nanowire/polymer nanocomposites by miscible mixing and precipitation, 2011, GA Gelves, MH Al-Saleh, U Sundararaj, Journal of Materials Chemistry 21 (3), 829-836.
5. MH Al-Saleh, U Sundararaj, Electromagnetic interference shielding mechanisms of CNT/polymer composites, 2009, Carbon 47 (7), 1738-1746.
6. GA Gelves, B Lin, U Sundararaj, JA Haber, Low electrical percolation threshold of silver and copper nanowires in polystyrene composites, 2006, Advanced Functional Materials 16 (18), 2423-2430.
7. R Sharmin, U Sundararaj, S Shah, LV Griend, YJ Sun, Inferential sensors for estimation of polymer quality parameters: Industrial application of a PLS-based soft sensor for a LDPE plant, 2006, Chemical Engineering Science 61 (19), 6372-6384.